L.A. Controller Offers Holiday Financial Tips to Avoid Unwanted Stress & Predatory Scams in the Merriest Time of the Year
LOS ANGELES — L.A. Controller Ron Galperin today released tips to help Angelenos of all backgrounds avoid financial stress during the busy holiday shopping season. As the taxpayers’ watchdog at City Hall, Galperin seeks to ensure not only that the City is spending public funds wisely, but also to give Angelenos the tools that will help them stay financially healthy and secure.
“Whether it’s planning a party or vacation, or figuring out how to afford gifts for everyone on your list, the holidays can be a very stressful time of year,” said Controller Galperin. “These tips are aimed at easing some of that unwanted worry so that everyone can enjoy the season without breaking the bank — because the financial health of our City depends on the financial health of every Angeleno.”
Galperin offers these five financial tips for the holidays:
- Set a budget. Review your earnings and expenses, and then decide what you can and are willing to spend on.
- Plan your shopping. Make a list and stick to it. This will keep you from buying unnecessary items and prevent overspending.
- Don’t buy it if you can’t afford it. PERIOD. It’s OK to just say no.
- Protect your identity. Monitor your accounts often, secure your devices, and notify your bank and credit card companies if you plan on traveling.
- Watch out for scams. This includes fake charities, online shopping schemes, fraudulent contests and sweepstakes. Seniors are prime targets of scams during the holidays. People of all ages should think twice before clicking and giving personal information away.
Download Galperin’s holiday financial tips flyer and watch a brief video at lacontroller.org/holidaytips or https://lacontroller.org/media/holiday-financial-tips/, where you’ll also find more info about common scams targeting seniors.
These tips are part of Controller Galperin’s ongoing efforts to provide the public with financial literacy tools aimed at helping them create a solid financial future.