The Controller serves as the independent chief auditor and financial watchdog for the City of Los Angeles with the responsibility to ensure the City is operating efficiently and transparently. The Controller’s Office produces payroll for more than 45,000 employees, monitors and reports on matters relating to the City’s fiscal health and supervises all expenditures of the City.
Internship Program – Community Engagement
The Community Engagement Team is responsible for engaging with community members and raising public awareness for the work of the Controller’s office, which includes transparency around data and the introduction of cutting edge technology in local government. This is a great opportunity for someone interested in community outreach/engagement and civic leadership.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Research events for the Controller to attend, either virtually or in-person
- Communicate directly with organizers and stakeholders to arrange engagement opportunities for the Controller
- Contribute to internal events and projects through research, outreach, and logistics
- Perform administrative duties as needed
Skills & Qualifications
- Excellent writing, research and organizational skills
- Outstanding communication and critical thinking skills
- Event planning capabilities
- Outgoing, friendly, and creative mindset
- Self-starter who can work independently and with teams
- Familiarity with Microsoft & Google software suites; Photoshop and design skills a plus
Application Process & Deadline
Apply directly by emailing your Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 5, 2021, 5:00p.m. PST. In the subject line indicate the specific internship you are applying for. Qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please submit any questions to email@example.com. *Please note this is an unpaid internship.
The Accounting Operations Division is responsible for funds and appropriation, accounting, audit and approval of demands against the City Treasury, City payroll for more than 45,000 City employees and other disbursements. We are looking for self-directed, detail-oriented interns in the areas of Accounting, Finance, Computer Science and Public Policy.
The City Controller’s Fiscal Oversight & Support Services (FOSS) division of the Controller’s Office is responsible for the review and approval of demands (payments) against the City Treasury. This division establishes Citywide policies and procedures regarding receipt of goods and services, payment processing, and disbursement of City funds. FOSS is also responsible for the filing and remittance of payroll, sales, and use taxes to Federal and State agencies, and administers the Citywide Travel and Purchasing Card programs.
FOSS’ Data Dashboard Section facilitates the work of accountants by establishing and maintaining systems necessary for data analysis, metric/goal tracking, and provide transparency into City purchases. This team is also responsible for maintaining the Controller’s Intranet site, which is a critical resource to all City departments that seek guidance on Controller policies and procedures.
- Creating and publishing data visualizations and maps;
- Publishing and maintaining high quality datasets on an Open Data portal;
- Brainstorming creative ways to make content interactive;
- Coordinating with the management team to meet deadlines.
- Attention to detail;
- Ability to save, backup and document for all steps taken;
- Savvy internet research skills;
- A love for technology and figuring things out.
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong organization and planning skills
- Ability to work under time sensitive and tight deadline environment
- Computer Programming Skills
- Web design skills
- Graphic design skills
- Proficiency in Photoshop, Illustrator or other visual design and wire-framing tools
- Up-to-date knowledge of the latest Web trends, techniques and technologies
- Computer Science or Information Systems degree preferred
Application Process & Deadline
Apply by emailing your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than November 5, 2021, 5:00 p.m. In the subject line indicate the exact internship you are applying for. Qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please submit any questions to email@example.com. *Please note this is an unpaid internship.
About the Office of Los Angeles City Controller Ron Galperin
Los Angeles Controller Ron Galperin is the taxpayers’ watchdog at City Hall, making sure public dollars are spent efficiently and effectively. He is also the elected paymaster, auditor and chief accounting officer for the City of Los Angeles.
Galperin oversees a team that conducts independent audits, manages City payroll and spending, prepares financial reports, pursues fraud and waste, and works to create a more transparent and accountable city for everyone. His reports are improving street maintenance, arts funding, management of special funds, L.A.’s trees, emergency services and many other City functions