Director of Community Engagement and Innovation
The Office of Los Angeles City Controller Ron Galperin is seeking a vibrant and dynamic Director of Community Engagement and Innovation. This position will work closely with internal teams, including government affairs, communications and other executive leadership members to spearhead the Controller’s outreach to the community throughout Los Angeles and on the digital frontier. The Director of Community Engagement and Innovation will leverage and form new strategic partnerships, manage a team of staff members, conceptualize ground-breaking projects and advance the Controller’s goals.
Ron Galperin is the current City Controller, a citywide official elected by L.A. voters in 2013 and again in 2017. Pursuant to the City Charter, the Controller is the elected taxpayers’ watchdog, the City’s chief financial officer and also in charge of audits, payroll and City spending.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Build and maintain external relationships, while serving as primary contact for diverse stakeholders (community organizations, neighborhood councils, business, tech industry, colleges, nonprofits, business, labor and others).
- Create and plan topic-specific workshops to engage and transmit the Controller’s message, i.e. town halls, business fairs and/or panels, demos, neighborhood council visits, workshops.
- Educate specific constituencies on what the Controller’s office does and share with the larger community using interactive tools.
- Manage the Deputy Director for Innovation and community engagement team.
- Manage individual projects and deliverables in concert with internal team members, senior staff, and the Controller.
- Oversee data stories and mapping projects to strategically engage the public.
- Participate in local community events by hosting booths or information tables.
- Demonstrated success in a fast-paced environment with the ability to adapt to evolving situations, lead a team, and stay organized.
- Experience with event planning and logistics.
- A track record of fostering partnerships and shared vision among diverse groups.
- Ability to communicate effectively and present a cohesive plan.
- Creative self-starter with a desire to serve the public’s interest in and throughout Los Angeles.
- Understanding of a project’s technical implementation, objectives and goals.
- A Bachelor’s degree from a recognized four-year college or university.
- Experience in and around the government sector and/or elected official’s office.
- Mastery of Google suite and other online project management tools.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience, and the job includes a highly competitive benefits package with generous vacation and sick leave; 13 paid holidays per year; flexible plans for multi-option health, dental, and vision coverage; and family and domestic partner leave.
How to Apply
Please send a resume, cover letter and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org; include the job title in the subject line of your email.
This position is an exempt, at-will position which does not accrue civil service tenure, contractual employment rights or due process rights. The position is appointed, serves at the pleasure of the Controller and may be removed without any finding of cause by the Controller.
The City of Los Angeles is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.