Street Talk: Parking Tickets in LA

Everyone hates getting parking tickets, but parking tickets are important for:

  • Keeping parking spots available in front of local businesses.
  • Protecting the environment and the public’s health by allowing street sweepers to clean our streets.
  • Ensuring first responders have access to fire hydrants and fire lanes in the case of an emergency.
  • Helping make sure Angelenos can find parking spots near their homes.

The City of Los Angeles also has a responsibility to make sure parking tickets are fair and reasonable. How can we best do this?

It begins with understanding the data.


Top Places and Times To Get Ticketed Top Violators and Violations Where Your Parking Fines Go

Top Places And Times To Get Ticketed

Top Violators And Violations

Where Your Parking Fines Go




The Los Angeles Department of Transportation (LADOT) issued nearly 2.5 million tickets in fiscal year 2014-15, spread out over 6,500 miles of streets.

How many tickets were issued on your block?

Click below to see the hot spots and details of every citation issued in 2015.


Preferential Parking Districts

There are more than 172 preferential parking districts in the City — these parking districts limit on-street parking to permitted residents. Click on an area below to find the preferential parking district number, Council District number and Councilmember who represents the area.

All facts and figures from Fiscal Year 2014-2015 unless otherwise noted.

Top Violations and Violators

In FY14-15, 2,489,390 parking tickets were issued, the top 3 violations were:
1) Street Cleaning – 26% of all tickets   2) Expired Meter Violations – 23.3% of all tickets   3) Expired Tabs – 10% of all tickets.

Tickets Are on the Decline

Ticket prices increased in 2009, 2011, and 2012, while the number of tickets issued has declined significantly since 2008. Current ticket prices in the City of Los Angeles range from $25 to $363. The graph below notes street cleaning citation fines increasing from $60 in 2009 to $68 in 2011 to $73 from 2012 till now.

Delivery Trucks

Fleet and delivery trucks, such as UPS and FedEx, received 46,406, or 1.9%, of all tickets issued.

How Many Full-Time Traffic Officers Spent
Their Time Issuing Tickets to UPS and FedEx Trucks?

The equivalent of 10 full-time traffic officers spent FY14-15 issuing tickets just to UPS and FedEx.

Rental Cars

Rental cars accounted for 57,682 tickets in FY14-15, or 2.3% of all tickets issued. 90% of the tickets issued to rental cars were paid by the renters; the other 10% of the tickets were paid by the rental companies.

All facts and figures from Fiscal Year 2014-2015 unless otherwise noted.

Where Your Money Goes

In fiscal year 2015-16, the City generated nearly $147.9 million in parking ticket revenues and incurred more than $106.2 million in expenses — meaning the cost of issuing tickets eats up roughly three-quarters of revenue collected by the City. The $41.6 million that’s left helps to pay for City services such as police, fire and street resurfacing.

Note: Parking meter revenues are separately collected and deposited into the Special Parking Revenue Fund.

Traffic Officers Don’t Just Write Tickets

In an FY 2014-15 sample, 550 full-time LADOT traffic officers worked a total of 671,449.85 hours, 77.83% (522,614.55 hours) of that time was spent on parking enforcement patrol while 22.17% (148,835.30 hours) of their time was spent on other tasks such as directing traffic and responding to radio calls.

Jobs Related to Parking Enforcement

In calendar year 2015, 770 Los Angeles Department of Transportation full-time and part-time employees worked in jobs related to parking enforcement.

Late Payments

In FY 2014-15, 80.6% of ticket recipients paid their parking ticket fines on time, while 19.4% of ticket recipients incurred late fees for not paying their tickets on time.

All facts and figures from Fiscal Year 2014-2015 unless otherwise noted.


Read the Letter to the Mayor and Council

Click here to read the Controller’s letter to the Mayor and City Council on parking citations and revenue.

Los Angeles Department of Transportation (LADOT) Parking Website

Click here to learn more about the LADOT’s parking operations including how to contest a ticket or report an abandoned vehicle.

LADOT Review of Parking Citation Fines and Feasibility of a Tiered Fine Structure

Click here to read the 2016 report issued by the Los Angeles Dept. of Transportation on parking citation fines and the feasibility of a tiered fine structure.

Los Angeles Parking Reform Group Report

Click here to read the 2015 report issued by the Los Angeles Parking Reform Group.